Saturday, October 24, 2009

10/24 Baldy Ride Report - View From the Sag Car

I accelerated around the corner, skidded on some gravel, and punch the gas pedal on my car. The Baldy Crew was faster than I had thought they would be. I punched harder on the gas...

My plan was to be at the half-way point of the Glendora Mountain Road at 9:45 AM, which I calculated would be way before the time that I had thought they would show. Only Tuan knew that I was coming, as I talked to him the night before. As I was driving up, I received a text from Tuan at 9:36 AM letting me know that they were already at the half-way point. The guys must be really gunning for it on the hills! I caught up and slipped around them, jumped out with my camera, ready to snap some picture. My mechanic was also quick on his feet, and got out to prepare to handoff some water. Here he is hard at work!













I snapped the first picture. Wow, everyone is still energized , spread out evenly accross the road, and sprinting at the 10 mile mark of this climb!













As the last VeloViet pass, I got back in the car and did a few more James Bond maneuver to get in front. I felt like a Director Sportif in the Tour de France on an Alpine stage, weaving and swerving around mountain corners. I would paused at each riders and asked them if they needed anything. Allez, Allez… I also shouted at the VeloViets, trying to encourage them to go even faster. Here are some action shots...

Cap’t was working it at the front. Sprinting like a synchronized dance at every opportunity. I think he is practicing that Armstrong move for the last climb of Palomar.













Duc and Tuan were working hard also, and were gritting their teeth as they pound on their pedals.















Billy and The Animal (aka Scott M) are smiling??? Man... these two guys are not even breaking a sweat on this mountain!!!















I jumped in the car and took off, trying to catch up to the fast moving train again. At the next stop, I got a great shot that shows a bit of the mountainous terrain. I used my zoom to get the next instantaneous shot, as I was a lot further and higher up in the climb. You can see that Billy is creating the pace at this point.















The OC VeloViet climbers made it to the Baldy village in about 2 hours. They wore out my support mechanic. Here he is resting his feet.













After loading up on water, gatorade, and bananas, the VeloViet riders looked like they could climb another Baldy. Here are the Fab Five posing against the scenic background.













The author (aka Director Sportif) posing with his mechanic on a successful Baldy campaign. That large group in the background came up in a caravan of cars as we are the only bikers up there.



So long for now from Cow Canyon Saddle, elevation 4527!

Phong

5 comments:

  1. Phong, thank you very much for the Sags and photos. Came very prepared to lend us a helping hand. Phong brought water, gatorade, and even energy drinks. Even had energy bars if I needed. Also brought some bananas in case we were cramping up, which I did. I was cramping from the breathing. Capt said I was working too hard and not drinking enough water. Well the way the capt was taking off, I had to work my butt off.

    We had passed this cyclist on GMR, and then all of the sudden, we saw him passed us going about 13mph. I told Thomas go ahead and take it to him. Me and Duc stayed back keeping a tempo pace instead of going into the red zone. As me and Duc were climbing up, we saw the cyclist that had passed us and he pulled to the left. I guess he couldn't keep up the pace going too fast and gave up because Thomas was behind him and got discouraged. I have never done this much climbing and I am glad I was able to accomplish it.

    Going back down was not as easy as one might think. There were rolling hills that got up to 12%. We thought we could just roll down easily enjoying the scenics. Going back down GMR, we encounter this skateboarder rolling down. Man, you got to see it to believe it. They were crazy. They had to brakes or anything, just their pads and body to slow them down in the corner. They sliding through the corners faster I was. I was following the skaters for a couple of miles and decided to pass him as I didn't like to follow him. His lines were different from mine and it was kind of distracting. I passed him but man he was on my tail the whole time. I had to accelerate out of the corner just to be able to keep in front of him. The descend down was fun and I enjoyed it. It reminds me of the good old days when I took my motorcycle up GMR.

    Once again, thanks OC VV for the ride and especially to Phong and his son for sagging for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Phong for a great support. You were truly a crew director. You didn't leave anything to chance. Not even a small detail was left out. When we got to the top 4,527 feet, it was nice to have a can of FRS energy drink along with ice cold water, powerade and bananas.

    Also, thanks your son for riding along as a mechanic. Fortunately, we didn't have any major mechanical breakdown. Just one flat for entire day. I was laughing so hard to see him in VV jersey hanging over his knees.

    It has been a long time for me personally to ride GMR. It must have been almost 3 yrs. We need to schedule more longer hill rides for the club. Like everything else, you have to practice often to be good.

    Weather was decent. Warm to cool at start, however, once we got higher, it gets colder. There was plenty of shades to keep you cool. Luckily, we were done with the quick decent when strong wind and hot air kicked in.

    The climb was a big success with Phong SAGging us. We have some very memorable pictures to tell a story. Next ride, we encourage B+ group to participate in this ride.

    After the ride, we gathered for a quick chicken wrap. Deeeliciousss. Nice way to refuel and be ready for Tom's Farm Century tomorrow.

    Again, thank you Phong for great support and a safe ride day.

    T2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to all OC VeloViet climbers! Look like you all had a great day! Great job water boy! and great driver Phong!

    In MN, we canceled the 8am ride because it was 33f with frost on the road at the time. We only did 10am and 1pm rides with some hills but not thing like yours! Weather did reach 48f by about 2pm... then start deeping... But we had a great ride.

    Few riders reach 100+ miles, I only did 60... but that probably our last ride of the year! Well, we can always go to CA to ride in the winter! hehehe!

    Oh! We was able to have 9 riders come out and ride, and 5 of them are VVs!

    HAVE FUN TOMORROW!
    Quang

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was 90deg on our route today for Tom's Farm. Too hot! Give us some of your cold weather. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sag support Phong. Nice job on the photos too.

    ReplyDelete