Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunday 1/17/20 PCH Seal Beach/Long Beach

Sorry you could not make it yesterday Phong, must have been baby sitting your kids. Hung was wondering where you were. He has been reading the blog lately and was very excited to join us. He said he enjoyed riding with us and decided to join our club.

The ride to the restroom was just our casual warm and nothing too fast. I was riding my new pre-own Orbea Orca that i picked up before Christmas. 2nd ride on it but this time with the Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 since I knew it was just going down PCH. The wheels helped a little bit but everybody know it's the engine. Just ask Capt, Nick, and Hung who was in the front while I was hanging on to dear life.
After the restroom braek, both A and B group rolled out together. Capt said to start slow and maintain a 24mph pace so everything could hang together as long as possible. Scott "the animal" Mellusi was the sweeper for the A group since he was on his fixie. I don't know what happened to the Rock Racing crew yesterday but they decided to stick with the B group. They must be recovering from the secret training on Saturday or something. Initial pace was nice and consistent. But out of nowhere 2 unkown cyclist pass us and that's when the pace really picked up to 30mph. I followed them and trading pulls with Capt, Hung and Nick. After Billy P and Jason did their turn of pulling, the pace picked up even more. That's when the group really got broken up. I tried to hang on as long as possible but it was Capt, Nick, Hung, and the 1 unknown cyclist that pulled away. The unknown cyclist tried to sprint toward the end at PCH and Warner but we had the top three covered that with ease. They looked over to him and gave a look "Is that all you got". Good thing the light turn green or I would never have caught up to them. Both A and B re-grouped at the gas station and I think that's when I realized I didn't have the legs like others.
B was to ride down to LB and turn around while A went through Katella toward Long Beach Airport. Billy P, Sang, & Cuong were very strong yesterday. There were time when I had difficulty trying to maintain the draft and that's when they came up to fill the gap and helped me tug along. I asked Billy P what was he eating and if he's been training. He said no and it's was the new Enduro ceramin bearing he just had installed on his Mavic Ksyrium wheels. When we went under the Long Beach Airport tunnel, Hung decided to do one of his sprint and said he got up to 35mph. I believed him as he zoom by us like we were club cyclist. Oh yeah, we are.
I was totally drained and legs where like noodle after the ride. I had a cold pizza from this morning in the car and ate that when I got back to the park. I was so hungry and exhausted. Now you know why my one pack is the way it is. I ate without thinking twice about it.
Until the next ride, take care.

6 comments:

  1. Tuan i am glad that you report this ride and you did it very good too. i thought no one will do. it was a new route fun, fast, and flate too. Capt. had come back to help broken group and wait for the team trying to help my flate tire and we Thank Capt. for his action

    i am looking forward on next Sunday ride

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuan, what a great recap. Thank you!

    When did 24 mph became a slow pace? The rides so far this year have been faster than a year ago. At this pace I am going to burn out by Summer!

    Ceramic bearing? The secret is out. It's this the new must have bike upgrade for 2010? I still have not recover yet from my Ducati purchase! I am keeping my eyes on Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bearings on my Mavic wheels were shot to hell. There are mixed reviews on ceramic bearings. But to me, it was a great improvement from wheel that were restricted with great friction and rolling resistance. I could feel the difference now. If I had extra MOOLA, I would change to ceramic bottom bracket. This way, I can draft and coast without pedaling behind the VV Train all day long! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy, buy the bearings for the Shimano BB and I can swap it out for you. I bought the Enduro bottom bracket tool to remove the bearing. I have done it it when I had Shimano on my other bike.
    Phong, I only did it because you weren't there. Your recaps are always great to read and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete