Sunday, June 27, 2010

6/27 Ride Recap - The Postmen Strikes Back!

Today was going to be different. I sensed it as I approached the MSP parking lot and saw the Postmen: Ngoc, Chi, and Dat. They were already there ½ hour before the ride start, bikes unloaded, and ready to rock-n-roll.

The ride slip calls for a 70-mile trek into the hills of Santiago Canyon. Upon conferring with Scott M, the ride leader, we tossed out the 50-mile route Group A2 were going to do, and shorten the A1 route to 65 miles to accommodate both groups. No short ride today. It is going to be a ball-buster 65 miles in the heat all the way!

25 riders left MSP. Going down Bushard, we practice our double pace line. These lines were some of the best I have seen from our group. I saw Postman Ngoc strayed a little farther from the front rider, and called him to close the gap. He did just that. A few minutes later, I asked if he wants to try to take the front and pull the pack. Ngoc took off to the front and was pulling the pack along at about 21 mph.

Suddenly as we neared PCH, the other Postman Chi took off and made a small attack. Chi must have seen Nhoc pulling, and he decided to flex a little of his muscle too. The pack responded to his move. I have never seen Chi anywhere near the front, and thought “this was going to be an interesting ride”.

At the stop, we picked up the Rock Racers, Simon, Jimmy, Mathew, and TZ. The pack now is about 30 strong. Off we go…

Initially Nic was pulling on PCH, but shortly after Ngoc went to the front again. I was chatting with Long and said “what’s got into these Postal guys”? "I have never seen these guys this animated on the ride". Long too said he has never seen it either.

Jamboree came and brought out the attacks. Luke went first and drew out Nic, Tuan, Duc, and TZ. I was huffing and puffing along just trying to keep contact. We turned on University and then I heard…

“Hey Phong”. I looked around and my eyes got bigger. Fed-Ex was following us along and he had this great big smile on his face. Fed-Ex came up from Irvine and have been chasing to catch up for a while. When he passed the A2 group, he asked Toan how far ahead we were. Toan said they double their effort when they heard we were not too far ahead.

I managed to blurt back a “Hey Fed-Ex”, but was thinking man now the fun is going to start. I sure hope I am ready for it!

We stopped at a red light and I heard another “Hey Phong” again. Looking around, I saw Big H also with a big smile on his face. I managed a wave and a smile, but was thinking Big H looks like he has been biking a lot since I saw him at GMR. This is now even more interesting.

Sure enough, Fed-Ex went to the front. Fed-Ex, Nic, Tuan, Duc, Luke, and Scott were aggressive the entire way. Flat, hills, rolling, it is an all out attack by these guys, and chase by the rest of us. As we loop around and hit Jamboree again, Fed-Ex delivers his infamous monster of a climb and distance us all except for Nic I think. I can only watch in the distance as I had to limit my output to make sure that I can survive this hill. Thanks goodness we approached a breakpoint and stop to get water. Group A2 came up about 20 minutes later.

After a short rest, A1 got back on the bike and climbed Santiago Canyon. We went up to Irvine Lake, turn around, and came back. At the bottom of the hill, we said goodbye to Fed-Ex and Big H as they return home.

So I thought this was where I get to rest a little, but the A1 guys did not let me. Nic, Tuan, Duc, Luke, and Scott were still like the Energizer Bunny. We also have Jimmy becoming active and taking turns on the front. At the SART near the wooden bridge, my quadriceps said enough and started going into cramp mode. I drop off to the back and slowed.

Cuong noticed me drop off, and he slowed to help pull me. A little later, Tuan had slowed as he noticed we both drop off. Cuong and Tuan pulled me back to MSP. Thanks guys!

This was a hard ride for me. The Postmen: Ngoc, Chi, and Fed-Ex must have put aside different company loyalty, united, and all took turns riding hard at the front. Perhaps they sensed The Tour coming, and wanted to support their old Postal Hero Armstrong as they knew this might be his last year? I don’t think it is gonna happen this year fellas (there I said it). It’s going to be a great race, but it is looking like it's a Spanish year again!

Out,
Phong

3 comments:

  1. It really was a nice ride, I was pumped maybe the World Cup. Share pulling is not about showing off or any thing, and don't be intimidated . Go to front and pull is taking turn helping out the group. At first, I was really afraid that some one will get the wrong thinking(Oh! look at crazy rookie trying to impress, he will run out of gas and died on the way back).Scott is right, you will not get any stronger staying on back all the time. Group B riders should clear the stereo type thinking and go to the front take turn pulling. If you run out of gas on the way back, that is great, because you spent the energy helping the group, not waisted. In the future, you guys will see me on and off in the front pulling, not afraid a A rider is behind. Eat good, drink right and go delivered...
    Glad to be a part of V V.
    Ngoc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with Phong that the Mailmen team has improving their skills and strengths. I have noticed them during the Monster ride.

    Then from the last Sunday ride, impressed me most was Dat, he hung on in front of the pack all along and gave effort of learning to draft as much as he could...Way to go Dat!

    Ngoc, we would love to see such great attitude...Not being afraid of learning, training and arm yourself with strength, skills and courage. That's all VV is about.

    Ride On...
    Toan

    ~~~ __o
    ~~~_ <_
    ~~~ (_)/(_)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ngoc, congratulations! You have figured out what Scott and others have been saying. I love your new attitude!

    From the A2 group, besides the 2 co-captains, the Rock Racers (An, Loi, and Can) have been strong riders for a while now. It's now time for the Postmen to graduate to the next step. Please keep it up!

    The gap between the A1 and A2 groups are shrinking. On which ride will the two teams come together and flex their collective muscles? It's time for an epic ride folks!

    ReplyDelete