Sunday, November 13, 2011

Return of the VeloViets!

Today was the first "real" group ride for the VeloViets in a long time. It's been raining heavy, and we have been busy with non-riding activities, so have not done a ride together. Most everyone came out to stretch their legs a bit and soon we had a parking lot full of bikes. Turns out Scott laid out a pretty tough course for us and it's 50-60 miles around the hills of Irvine and Laguna.

Photo - Billy, Co, Sang, and Tuan

Photo - Khan Posing in His White Uniform with Matching Red Warmers

On Bushard, initially things were a bit confusing as we had a large pack and seems like everyone forgot how to do a double paceline. Either that or folks were happy to see everyone in the new kits that some did not pay attention to the paceline. It's all good though as there were were no traffic on this road. After awhile, the Roads Captains got everyone in line.

Photo - Chanh and Ngoc Pulling the White Pack

Photo- Black and Red Dominated the Front on Bushard

The Black and Red Kits dominated the front on Bushard. Guys like Luke, Tuan, Cap't, and Greg ramped up the pace. The White Kits settle in on the second group and this was where I was at. We reached PCH.

Here Antoine and his brother Hung hooked up with us and off we went. I rode by Rose who told me she did 50 miles in the rain yesterday. A definite die-hard rider and I think she will do well in the hills!

Photo - Pack on PCH

The San Joaquin hills proved my initial assumption. Rose, a competitive runner, did not seemed to struggle as hard as some of us on the hills. Darn it... time for me to go on a diet as I think I have a good 70 lbs on Rose!

Photo - Rose Riding Uphill as if She Was Strolling Along at the Park

Photo - Toan and Daniel Working Hard

Photo - John and Hoa Riding Nicely in VeloViet Red

You can tell who have been riding as these folks surged up effortlessly, while the rest of us grit our teeth and grind it out. I was loosing it fast as people were piling by me on San Joaquin and Vista Ridge. When all hope near lost, I made it up Vista Ridge! Whew!!!

Photo - The Ones Who Made It Up Vista Ridge First

I waited at the top with Steve N, Sean, and KyAnh, for DuyAnh while others went down Vista. By the time we went down we lost sight of the front group. Later on Bonita we somehow hook up up Toan and the A2 pack. This group climbed Ridgeline and then headed towards CircleK.

On University, I was pulling at about 21 mph when we crested a little hill over the freeway overpass. This split the group up and immediately the Lam Brothers attacked!

Photo - Rock Racers Attack!

The attack was quick and ferocious! I don't know which of the brothers initiated the attack but it was definitely pre-coordinated. The pack was very surprised by this move, and only Toan, Chanh, and I could respond!

Tounge hanging, I struggled to keep up with Toan, who was following one of the twin wolfhounds. I think brother Can got a gap on rest of us, and as we near CircleK everyone slowed. Exciting adrenaline rush and I hoped I still got some juice for the return!

At CircleK we saw the A3 Group, who had taken a short cut and reached there first. From the photos, looked like they partied a bit, and had too much Captain Morgan's rum, before our arrival too.

Photo - A3 Group (aka Party Group) Arrive First to CircleK

Photo - All Current Colors of the VeloViets

Photo - The Captain Morgan Pose... Guys Just Wanna Have Fun!

On the way back we had even more fun. I was joking with the White Kits as again, I saw mainly Black and Red Kits on the front on PCH. These guys were pushing hard too and we soon split the pack. I remember seeing 28 mph on my bike computer. I was hanging on for dear life.

I must have pissed the White Kits off with my jokes, as these folks moved to the front on SART. I remember seeing Sang, Chanh, Toan, and the Lam brothers moving pass Luke and Greg. The Black Kit guys were fighting hard too as both teams rotated, but definitely there were more whites. The pace on SART reached around 25 mph at this time.

The first real move came around the bike trail next to the park area. I remember Greg pulled aside and Luke went to the front. After a short pull by Luke, I think brother Can went around Luke, pulling one of the twins, and pushed up the pace. Luke and I fought hard and I think the other twins were the only one in the back as we open a gap on the others. It was 3 Whites against 2 Blacks!

There was one more rotation I think and the brothers did a move that almost sealed the winner. On the last stretch, Can had just pulled and rotated to the second position and not to the back. He slowed slightly and allowed his brother to gap! The oldest freaking trick in the book!

As one of the twin sped away creating a gap of 20-30 feet, I made an instaneous race decision, go now or not go at all. I jumped to the side and accelerated to the front! Initially I did not think I could catch the brother, but I think he must have slowed and I rocked pass him. I too started to run out of juice and just had enough to hold off the second guy, which turned out to be Luke. Black team captured 1 and 2 :-)

Man we were all happy at the end of the sprint. White, black, and red all high fives each other. Good adrenaline rush! Good times! Kudos to the Rock Racers who executed an almost perfect attack.

Photo - The Boys at the End of the SART Sprint

Excellent welcome-back ride to mark the Return of the VeloViets! The ride was hard for all! Just check out the picture of Lilliana below!

Photo - VeloViet Masseusers Earning Their Keeps

By the way, Sebastian and Marcel charge $50 bucks an hour! Book your VeloViet massage now :-)

See you all in about 2 weeks,
Phong

4 comments:

  1. It's always good to see our VV bros & sis. Thanks to Steve N., a. Sang, & a. DuyAnh for your wait while I fixed my many flats. Go Tubulars !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Phong for continuing cranking out great moments of the VeloViet riders...Riding with VV brothers & sisters are always so much fun and so darn HARD! Seems to me the new jersey kits making us think fast especially the Black jersey team...guys wearing this color love to pull and pulling hard no matter how much energies they had spent on hills after hills, they always have some spare of awesome power at the end...But the White jersey play smarter...they waited...waited...and charge when the opponents energies hit the "red lines"...That's racers strategy. Kudos! Love the ride & the pain! Ugh!

    Ride on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't get a chance to ride but saw the group charging on the road. I can definitely feel the energy. Looking good with the new kits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phong it is fun reading the recap. the 2 kid are deserved a big present in this coming Holiday

    ReplyDelete